Jump to Navigation

What should you do if you've been served with divorce papers?

One of the most traumatic things that can happen to a person in the Houston area is going through a divorce. This is an emotional and complex time for everyone involved. So, if a Houston resident is served divorce papers there are some things that they should keep in mind.

If a person is served divorce papers there are probably several emotions that person feels which may include sadness, disbelief, relief, etc., depending on the situation. That person should take a few days to think about what just happened while reviewing the divorce petition to see when a response is necessary. A person should review the divorce documents to see what their spouse will want regarding property division, child custody and visitation and alimony. Texas law requires a response within 20 days to the divorce petition. The person who is being served will probably want to seek out legal representation at this time. This is also a good time to get financial paperwork in order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Avvo client choice award 2017
Subscribe to this blog's feed

Attorney Christine K. Lincoln

Christine K. Lincoln offers sound counsel and legal services to protect clients and their families facing divorce and other family disputes.

She will take the time to understand your individual needs and develop a comprehensive solution to protect your rights and interests.

Email Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

The Lincoln Law Firm, PLLC
12777 Jones Road, Suite 475
Houston, TX 77070
Phone: 281-970-9005
Fax: 832-645-7666
Map and Directions

Texas Divorce Attorneys, Mental Health Professionals, & Financial Planners
FindLaw Network