Jump to Navigation

Can a parent relocate after a Texas divorce?

When a Texas couple gets divorced, there are many different things that need to be worked out. These include dividing property, spousal support and child support. After a divorce, many times one of the spouses wants to move away, especially for a new job. But, child custody arrangements may make it hard for a person to relocate in a collaborate law agreement.

In Texas, many child custody arrangements are created as a joint custody arrangement. In these arrangements, both parents share equal amounts of time with their children. Within this agreement, it often stipulates that the parents need to remain within a certain town or county. When this is listed in a child custody agreement, one parent cannot move into another county or state without permission. If they want to move to another area, they must seek a court order to change the custody agreement. If the custody agreement does not restrict where a parent lives, and one parent wants to move, the other parent may go to court and challenge that move.

An attorney who is skilled in family law can help their client work within the law to update their child custody agreement to move out of county or state. Or they can help a client keep their child within the state or county. An attorney has the skills and resources necessary to advise their clients on their custody issues and make sure their best interests and their child's best interests are the top priority. These can be complicated matters in a divorce agreement, and often parents don't know where to turn to get help. Often an attorney can help the parents work together to talk through issues and agree on a plan that works for all parties involved.

A divorce is a highly emotional time for a family. Working out the many agreements can be complicated, and after they are completed, life happens and things change. Working out a child custody agreement that involves one parent moving may require the help of a skilled attorney.

Source: findlaw.com, "Child custody relocation laws", accessed on Sept. 11, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Avvo client choice award 2017
Subscribe to this blog's feed

Attorney Christine K. Lincoln

Christine K. Lincoln offers sound counsel and legal services to protect clients and their families facing divorce and other family disputes.

She will take the time to understand your individual needs and develop a comprehensive solution to protect your rights and interests.

Email Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

The Lincoln Law Firm, PLLC
12777 Jones Road, Suite 475
Houston, TX 77070
Phone: 281-970-9005
Fax: 832-645-7666
Map and Directions

Texas Divorce Attorneys, Mental Health Professionals, & Financial Planners
FindLaw Network