Jump to Navigation

Modifying a divorce decree

As those who have gone through a divorce in Houston know, a divorce can be an incredibly stressful time for a family. Emotions are high and it can be hard to focus on the important aspects of a divorce settlement. A post-divorce modification may become necessary for one of the spouses.

A post-divorce modification can be brought by one of the spouses to change certain decisions in regards to their divorce. There are a few ways that a modification can be pursued. One way is through an appeal. A spouse can challenge the trial court's judge's decision by bringing an appeal to a higher court. The spouse files a brief which includes what they think is not fair in their divorce settlement and how the original judge incorrectly applied the law. A divorce settlement usually cannot be appealed if both parties agreed to the settlement.

Usually the simpler way to modify a divorce settlement is to file a motion to modify with the same court the divorce was finalized. A spouse can ask the court to change certain aspects of the divorce settlement. These generally include child custody matters, spousal support and child visitation arrangements.

A person who is thinking that they need a post-divorce modification may want to speak with a legal professional skilled in family law. An attorney can help a person look at their options and determine what would be the best way to try to get a divorce settlement changed. They have the experience necessary to navigate the court system and work for the best outcome for their client.

Source: topical

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Avvo client choice award 2017
Subscribe to this blog's feed

Attorney Christine K. Lincoln

Christine K. Lincoln offers sound counsel and legal services to protect clients and their families facing divorce and other family disputes.

She will take the time to understand your individual needs and develop a comprehensive solution to protect your rights and interests.

Email Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

The Lincoln Law Firm, PLLC
12777 Jones Road, Suite 475
Houston, TX 77070
Phone: 281-970-9005
Fax: 832-645-7666
Map and Directions

Texas Divorce Attorneys, Mental Health Professionals, & Financial Planners
FindLaw Network